Monday, November 18, 2019

Rejoice Always


1 Thessalonians 5:16-18  Rejoice at all times. Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (NIV) 

As we draw nearer to Thanksgiving, have you begun thinking about thankfulness? Sometimes we get so overwhelmed with the knit-picky details of the day we forget all the many blessings we have already received. Other times, we look around and see those with more than we will ever have and believe God has not been fair in handing out His “things.” My friend, God doesn’t have pockets. His blessings are not the tangible assets of this world. However, He can open doors we had no idea were even there. We have to be willing to step through the portal to a new way of being.

I remember a fellow who told me, “Honestly, Dr. Rapp, I never buy lottery tickets. But, one time I needed several hundred dollars for an unexpected bill. While going to visit my mom one sunny Saturday, I pulled into a service station about fifty miles away from home. I didn’t know anyone in the area, so no one I knew would catch me “gambling.” As I handed the cashier a dollar, I couldn’t even make eye contact. I was a middle-aged man but felt like a ten year old, caught with their hand on Momma’s purse. I grabbed the ticket and hurried out to my car. Two-hundred dollars would be enough to cover what I needed, so I prayed for that specific amount as I fished for a coin for the scratch off. There it was, a $35.00 winning. I would have to go back in the store to cash it in. But, I didn’t. God didn’t answer my prayer. I needed a lot more than $35.00. I jammed the ticket into my shirt pocket and drove off. Then, I realized what I had done and my guilt exploded. I had not rejoiced in His gift for me, but had turned down a real blessing from God.”

How many times has God answered our prayers but we didn’t get what we wanted so we refused what He offered? For today, let us pray for the humbleness to recognize the presence of God when He whispers in the darkness of the night, or offers a blessing we hadn’t “ordered.” Let us pray:

“Oh loving and generous father, I rejoice and give thanks for all you are and all you give. Your name is hold and precious, above all names. I surrender to your will in my life and recognize that all you give me are to help me become who you intend for me to be. For this day, I ask for sight-of-the-heart to see your blessings, gentle hands to touch and heal the wounds of a friend, and hearing tuned to your voice above the clatter of the world. Forgive me for putting my desires above your perfect plan. Let me not fall back into self-centeredness but let me focus on you. For only you hold the power of creating and recreating within me a new heart. In the name of Jesus, your son and my savior I pray. Amen”
Blessings,
Doris
Copyright 2019 Doris Gaines Rapp

For previous posts go to: https://prayertherapyrapp.blogspot.com
Fun blog to accompany my newest novel: www.tuckermcbrideintheclassroom.com
Author of nine novels available on www.amazon and www.barnesandnoble.com
Or, order at your local Barnes and Noble


1 comment:

  1. We at Soul Care Prayer give you with the best Christian therapy ministry, Prayer Therapy, Trauma Healing. Your nervous system triggers partial brain shutdown because the pain or threat is so great. That’s what the Trauma Healing therapy of SoulCare Prayer does. If you’ve experienced trauma, you will know it is an overwhelming emotional response. That’s what the Trauma Healing therapy of Soul Care Prayer does. Feel free to contact us for more detail: +64-20-111-2123.

    ReplyDelete